Posts tagged starcraft
Posts tagged starcraft
My new White-Ra swag.
I acquired the shirt here.
Also check out Aleksey’s page. He’s so worth supporting if you don’t already. A pillar of the e sports community, this guy has been pro-gaming since Brood War (maybe longer) and supports his family with his play.
What’s that you say? How are you supposed to afford an expensive White-Ra shirt?
All I can say is, “Upgreyds make”.
Aleksey “White-Ra” Krupnyk
Wise words for Starcraft and for life.
From Day Blog Post #2
When I moved out and got a new computer about a month ago, I left my copy of Starcraft behind without installing it on my new machine. I wasn’t sure how much free time I would have, and I didn’t want to spend my homework time playing games. Now, I realize that I actually have more free time than ever before, but no Starcraft to fill it with. This is obviously a problem, but after rewatching Day’s Mechanics Daily, I think I have some ideas as to how I can at least improve my Starcraft mechanics until I can retrieve my copy, even if there is very little I can do to help my boredom.
I am not a good player. I never laddered much and when I did I never got out of Silver (although I was improving consistently). If this works, I will find out very quickly wen I get back in the game. Here’s some of the steps that I will take:
1. I will only type with my left hand. I always had problems with hitting hotkeys that were on the right side of the keyboard (this made SC1 really hard, too. Siege Mode is “O”. After watching DayJ do his thing, I realized it’s because I only use my left hand to hit those keys when I’m actually playing Starcraft. Normally, I take my right hand off of the mouse and use both to type, which is reasonable for typing but terrible for Starcraft. From now on, my left hand is my only keyboard hand until I can type at a reasonable speed and accuracy without looking at the letters. If I have a paper due and I’m running late I might make an exception, but for the most part I’m just going to be a slow typer for a while.
2. I’m going to make using the mouse a game. I moved my mouse to the edge of my desk as per Sean’s advice, and every youtube video, website link, and text edit is now an opportunity to improve my mouse accuracy.
3. To simulate mini-map checking, which was a horrible weakness of mine, when I am looking at a web browser and writing a text document simultaneously, I will put the browser down where the mini-map would be and so every time I look at it I am actually watching for doom drops. I also have to click on it to scroll, just like sending out a scout.
4. I’m going to watch a lot more Starcraft. NASL’s starting again, which will help, but I’m also going to watch more streams so I can get a player’s eye view of what’s up.
5. I downloaded SC1 (not even Broodwar-I’m just that awesome). I haven’t played classic SC since I was about 12, so hopefully this will learn me some new skills other than my old box and A-move methods. It will also make me exceedingly happy when I come back to SCII and my dudes actually automine…
6. I’m going to enjoy the vacation. Now I don’t have to worry about dealing with those bloody Protoss death balls, because they don’t exist and as far as I’m concerned dancing dragoons are their best unit. Also, I get to sit back and watch everyone complain about Warhounds. Heh. Heh.
If you want to buy a Starcraft calendar used on amazon, it will cost you about $1500. New, about $40. I guess they must have been signed by Jaedong or something…
More Husky and Day derpcasting. Team Illusion vs. Team Nony @ Red Bull Trial of the Xel’Naga
“Team Illusion is playing random, Mike. Can I get some hands up?
Whoa, we’ve got a badass over here.”
Husky and Day derpcasting Team Bling vs Team Bomber at the Red Bull Seatle: Trial of the Xel’Naga event.
“Taking off our shirts is NOT a power of the Xel’Naga.”
I didn’t expect it so soon - seems like Stephano was beating up on everyone not even a month ago. My education will suffer from this…
You wanna know who I ship?
Deal with it.
What the heck is with day9’s stream right now? Blizz promised a live battle report, but the video’s been up for a while now….
edit:”Live stream” is just a replay of the video. Dayj, you’ve got some ‘splainin’ to do.